AFO Virtual Information Center
- Air Pollution From Swine Production Facilities Differing In Waste Management Practice (PDF) - A study performed by researchers at the USDA National Soil Tilth Laboratory and Iowa State University Department of Microbiology.
- Alberta Cattle Feeders' Association, Air Quality Issues - Technical information and news about controlling odors and air quality problems related to management of livestock manure.
- Center for Rural Affairs (CFRA) - The Center for Rural Affairs is a private, non-profit organization. Its goal is to strengthen small businesses, family farms and ranches, and rural communities.
- Consumers Union Southwest Regional Office, Article on Animal Factories - Article on the impact of CAFOs on pollution and health in Rural Texas.
- Corporate Agribusiness Research Project (CARP) - CARP's goal is to increase public understanding of corporate agribusiness through awareness, education, and action in addition to the importance of building alternative, democratically controlled food systems.
- Families Against Rural Messes (F.A.R.M.) - Provides news, reports and links to other sources for information related to the CAFO industry and environmental impacts.
- Grace Factory Farm Project (GFFP) - The Grace Factory Farm Project goal is to support a sustainable food production system that is healthful and humane, economically viable, and environmentally sound.
- Indiana: Purdue University, Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory Publication, Controlling Ammonia Gas In Swine Buildings - Describes an approach for reducing ammonia gas (and other manure gases and odors) by using a combination of available methods and management practices that involve ventilation, manure management, building hygiene, and feed management.
- Indiana: Purdue University, Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory Publication, Methods and Practices to Reduce Odor from Swine Facilities (PDF) - Describes the known methods and practices that may reduce odor nuisance from swine production units.
- Indiana: Purdue University, Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory Publication, Ventilation of Poultry Slaughtering and Processing Plants (PDF) - Addresses emission of airborne particles containing pathogenic and spoilage microorganisms in poultry slaughtering and processing plants. It discusses design and maintenance of the ventilation system to prevent migration of airborne contamination to clean areas of the plant.
- Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy Report: The Price We Pay for Corporate Hogs - Report that examines the industrialization of US animal agriculture, particularly hog factories, over the past 50 years. The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP) oversaw the production of this report for the Funding Group on Confined Animal Feeding Operations.
- National Pork Board (NPB) - Information on environmental issues impacting pork producers and others involved in pork production. The site provides agency contacts, manure information for use in sizing storage structures, odor control, and more.
- Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC) Facts About Pollution from Livestock Farms
- Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC) Report: Cesspool of Shame - Cesspools of Shame: How Factory Farm Lagoons and Sprayfields Threaten Environmental and Public Health is a report by the NRDC and the Clean Water Network.
- Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC) Report: How States Fail to Prevent Pollution from Livestock Waste - 1998 report published by the NRDC and the Clean Water Network. The report examines the environmental and health consequences of pollution from industrial livestock farms in 30 states, as well as varying efforts to curtail it.
- North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Pfiesteria Fact Sheet - Questions and answers about Pfiesteria.
- North Carolina State University's Air Quality Research Program - Provides recent research and publications on air
emissions associated with CAFOs.
- North Carolina State, Center for Applied Aquatic Ecology, Pfiesteria - Provides information about current publications and ongoing research on Pfiesteria.
- Options for Managing Odor - A report from the North Carolina Swine Odor Task Force published with support from the North Carolina Agricultural Research Service (NC State University). It provides general information about controlling odors at swine feeding operations.
- Purdue Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory (PAAQL) Extension Publications and Presentations - Documents and other materials developed by PAAQL that address air quality issues associated with CAFOs.
- Purdue Agricultural Air Quality Laboratory (PAAQL), Setbacks for Sufficient Swine Odor Dispersion and Dilution - Review of current setback guidelines and proposes a new method to determine sensible and scientific setbacks for the US swine industry.
- Sierra Club, Clean Water and Factory Farms, Frequently Asked Questions - The Sierra Club answers general questions about CAFOs and their potential impact on human health, the environment, and the economy.
- Sierra Club, Factory Farms and Clean Water - Presents an overview of CAFOs and water quality, an overview of Sierra Club's campaign with respect to CAFOs, news, reports, and more.
- US EPA Global Warming Site, Agriculture and Forestry - Actions section focuses on actions and activities conducted or supported by governments, corporations, small businesses, and individuals that help address global warming issues.
- US EPA Global Warming Site, Emissions - National Emissions section provides a broad overview of all US greenhouse gas emission sources and sinks, introduces key concepts, and discusses the primary drivers for the growth in greenhouse gas emissions.
- US EPA Global Warming Site, National Impacts on Agriculture - Discusses the potential impact that climate change could have on agriculture.
- US EPA Methane and Sequestration Branch - This branch implements voluntary programs which promote profitable opportunities for reducing emissions of methane.
- US EPA, AgStar Program - The AgStar Program is a voluntary effort jointly sponsored by the US EPA, USDA, and the US Department of Energy. The program encourages the use of methane recovery (biogas) technologies.
- US Food and Drug Administration, Antimicrobial Resistance - Contains links to antimicrobial resistance information in food producing animals.
- USDA Center for Animal Health Monitoring (CAHM) - Provides data on animal health from national studies and industry sources.
- USDA, Agricultural Air Quality Task Force (AAQTF) - The Confined Livestock Air Quality Subcommittee of USDA's AAQTF examined the current state of knowledge on potential air quality impacts from CAFOs and outlined research and technology transfer needs.
- USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Water Quality Information Center, Pfiesteria Publications and Links
- Understanding The Impacts of Large-Scale Swine Production: Proceedings from an Interdisciplinary Scientific Workshop - The purpose of the workshop was to provide scientific answers to citizen and producer questions/concerns about large-scale swine production. Topics covered include water quality, air quality, social issues, economic development, and occupational health.
- University of Maryland, College of Agriculture, Pfiesteria and the Chesapeake Bay - Publication on the relationship between agriculture and Pfietsteria in the Chesapeake Bay.
- University of Minnesota, Manure and Odor Education and Research - Provides information on animal waste management, links to applicable regulations, fact sheets, and links to other resources.
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill Environmental Resource Program, Public Health Issues of North Carolina's Hog Industry - Focuses on the public health issues of North Carolina's hog industry, including information on health and environment, state laws, and local county rules and ordinances.
Find Another Virtual Center Link
- EPA Programs - Provides links to specific EPA programs and initiatives related to Animal Feeding Operations.
- Other Federal Programs - Links to programs at USDA, Department of Energy, and other federal agencies.
- State Regulations - Links to state AFO/CAFO regulations and requirements.
- State Web Sites, Permits, and Other Publications - Links to state AFO/CAFO web sites, state agricultural web sites, example general and individual CAFO permits, fact sheets, inspection forms, guidance, and compliance assistance publications
- Nutrient Management - Information and tools to help develop nutrient management plans, including state technical standards.
- Livestock and Trade Associations - Links to trade associations involved with the livestock industry.
- Best Management Practices and Controls - Links to web site and documents highlighting best management practices related to controlling discharges from AFOs/CAFOs.
- Cooperative Extension and Land Grant Universities - Links to land grant universities, extensions, and other universities conducting agricultural research and providing assistance to the agricultural community.
- Research - Links to research projects and papers developed by universities and other institutions.
- Funding - Funding options for AFOs/CAFOs, including federal funding programs.
- Environmental Issues - Links to information about water quality, air quality, public health, and energy issues associated with AFOs/CAFOs.
View all AFO Virtual Center Links
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. Files are best viewed in Internet Explorer and Adobe 8.0 or higher. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.